Thursday, March 15, 2007

amateur


Having had the opportunity to participate in StumbleUpon, thanks to a good friend who suggested it (*Wink* at you c.a.!), one of the many really cool aspects of it is meeting some of the people who participate! Virtually, of course, but still....

I was admiring some AMAZING photography I had stumbled upon when I began wondering (as I am known to do!) so I sent the photographer a message. Well, "peppered" him with questions about equipment, lighting, training, etc. is more accurate! I very honestly identified myself as an "ametuer" - referring to my lack of training and newbie status.

Not only did he respond, but he was extraordinarily kind!!
Here is what he said, which I told him I appreciated so much, I was going to share:


"In our Anglo-Saxon societies the term 'amateur' is usually used in a derogatory sense to suggest a level of ineptitude.
However the word is in fact derived from the Latin 'amator' - which literally means lover, devoted friend, enthusiastic pursuer of an objective -
essentially someone who engages in an activity out of love rather than for profit or acclaim.
I tend to favour the latter definition and thus have no reluctance in using the word to describe myself!" ~ Ben


How COOL is that??
All of the sudden, I see myself as an "
amateur" in most of the things that bring life into focus!!
Go see his pictures too...they really are extraordinary!!
Here's a sample...

1 comment:

Carol ReMarks said...

That is way too cool! And you know I do love the art of words, as you do. Thanks for sharing that with us! I love stuff like that!!!